Outside Plant Technician
Shelby, North Carolina
Our Technicians keep millions of people connected to the wide range of services we have to offer. If you’re tech savvy, a great problem solver and love helping customers – take your career on the road with us.
- Level: Mid
- Travel: Yes
What makes a successful Technician at AT&T? Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Communicator 7
- Personable 8
- Helpful 10
- Detail-oriented 8
- Adaptable 9
- Tech savvy 7
Outside Plant Technician
Shelby, North Carolina
LOOKING FOR A COMPANY THAT VALUES YOUR POTENTIAL?
A job with AT&T as an Outside Plant Technician can provide you with exactly that!
Take advantage of our paid training and wide range of career possibilities. AT&T offers a competitive salary, company provided vehicle and tools and benefits that include medical, dental, paid vacation, and more!
Our Outside Plant Technicians work both inside and outside to test and repair equipment and services for our customers.
What you'll do as an AT&T Outside Plant Technician:
• Place aerial and underground copper and fiber cable
• Perform various jobs with copper splicing and assist in fiber splicing
• Perform construction work such as digging holes, placing cable, air pipe and inner duct in various types of conduit systems and open excavations
• Work with heavy duty power equipment and small tools in the installation, repair and maintenance of outside plant facilities
In addition to possessing strong communication skills, our Outside Plant Technicians must:
• Possess a valid state driver license
• Meet 275lbs weight limit due to safety restrictions
• Perceive differences in wire and cable colors
• Climb poles up to 18 feet high, climb ladders and work aloft with hand tools
• Lift and/or pull up to 120lbs
• Work outside in all kinds of weather
• Work in attics, basements, crawl spaces, manholes and other similar places
• Use computers including hand-held models to update work status and check new assignments
• Work mandatory overtime and holidays as service conditions require
• AT&T will consider for employment qualified applicants in a manner consistent with the requirements of federal, state and local laws
• Qualify on pre-employment screening
Study Guides (click the links below to open the various study guides)
Date posted 10/03/2020
Want to know what to expect? Here’s a breakdown of the typical application process.
- Check your status regularly. Timing varies, so log in to see where we are.
- Check your email regularly for any follow-ups.
- You may have to pass an assessment before moving on to the next step.
- Your interview may be online. Make sure you have a strong connection and dress professionally.
How to prepare for your assessment
Our goal is to set you up for success at AT&T.
That's why we’re providing you with the information you need to prepare for the entire application process. When you’re getting ready, it’s a good idea to find a quiet place, get in the zone and answer as honestly as possible. And to prevent any errors from happening, make sure you are doing so on a computer and not a mobile device.
The job is rewarding with great pay, benefits and the ability to meet the needs of customers with excellent service. Each day is a new adventure. You meet new customers, explore different cities, and challenge yourself everyday. You get to work on your own, but if needed, you've got reliable support in your group of peers and management team.
Everyday is different. Everyday is a new challenge. You will learn something new everyday, so don't expect to get the job figured out in the first few months.Current Employee – Wire Technician
- One Star Rating
- Two Star Rating
- Three Star Rating
- Four Star Rating
- Five Star Rating
We take care of our own here (hint: that could be you). Our benefits and rewards mean we cover some of your biggest needs with some of the coolest offerings. We already think we’re a pretty great place to work. We’re just trying to rack up some bonus points.
Party every (pay) day
Let’s start with the big one: Your work gets rewarded with competitive compensation and benefits. It really does pay to be on our team.
Save on swag
Wanna make your friends really jealous? You’ll get discounted access to the latest and greatest AT&T products and services – plus other awesome items, like tickets to live events.
Get some “you” time
Vacation? Staycation? Heck, let’s take a road trip. On top of paid holidays, chill out with paid time off (PTO) that you can spend any way you want.
Upgrade your skill set
You strike us as an over-achiever (don’t worry, it’s a compliment). Our training and development programs are your ticket to expert status in your job.
Graduate to what’s next
Our people have class. Literally. We can help you out on approved education costs with our tuition assistance plan.
Stuff your piggy bank
When the day comes that you get some much needed R&R (not that you’d ever want to leave #LifeAtATT) you’ll know your future is set with the AT&T Retirement Savings Plan (ARSP).
Know you’re covered
Here’s another reason to breathe easy: You and your family get access to excellent medical, dental and vision insurance options.
This is the life – the #LifeAtATT, that is. We’re creating what’s next and having a blast doing it. You’re looking for proof? Well, see for yourself.