Xandr is a technology platform powering one of the largest global Advanced TV and Video advertising marketplaces in the industry. We scale our business as WarnerMedia people who independently build the Xandr platform and brand. For more than a decade, our data insights, premium content, powerful technology, and scaled direct-to-consumer distribution have given us a competitive edge — leading us to improving advertising for all brands, publishers, and consumers.
How do we do this? With talented, passionate people like you! We bring together people from diverse backgrounds and give them an opportunity to bring their ideas to life. Join our community to Make Advertising Better!
The System Administrator II at Xandr is responsible for effective provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values.
The System Operations team at Xandr maintains operation of over 8,000 Linux servers, distributed across 6 data centers globally. The systems run various distributed applications such as Kubernetes, Nginx, and Artifactory, as well as more traditional applications such as DHCP, DNS, and Kickstart. Responsibilities on these systems include system administrative engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure the platform adapts or exceeds business needs. System Administrators on the team will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy, research & development within the project life-cycle, technical analysis and design, and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
System Administration Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineer and provide proof-of-concept technical solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Manage servers and configure hardware, services, settings, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project or operational requirements.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Identify areas of operation where automation can increase efficiency and decrease human error and implement a solution to do so
- Evaluate new versions of software/technologies and provide and implement any changes and tasks necessary to leverage it for operations or project needs
- Identify potential security risks and propose practical mitigation measures
- Assess several, often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a dynamic environment
- Create, verify, and review patches to the software that runs the infrastructure in the form of pull-requests
- Provide technical leadership in planning, development, and execution of software efforts
Operations and Support
- Ensure the integrity and availability of all hardware and key services by utilizing monitoring tools, log aggregation tools, and customer reports
- Ensure business data integrity by supporting our storage systems and performing any maintenance tasks necessary to prevent data loss (hardware repairs, fire drills, integrity checks)
- Review security reports to identify any possible violations on a regular cadence
- Provide support per requests from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot any issues reported.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Provide on-call support (escalations from Level 1 Support Team)
- Maintain operations runbooks, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. This requires using various performance tuning tools to identify bottlenecks internal and external to the system.
- Provide support for datacenter maintenance and operations as needed.