This position is a Sr. UNIX System Administrator role aimed to provide Expertise in a Service Provider Operation Support System (OSS), to improve operations performance on a major U.S. Government contract at Scott AFB, IL. You must be a self-starter with the confidence to work in a rapid paced environment. Provide Tier III Application support on Linux and Solaris OS. Interacts with Tier II OSS Operations Staff to identify Systems administration inefficiency. Evaluates vendor products and custom developed solutions that address all systems administration aspects of the IT infrastructure. Analyses and provides recommendations to purchase hardware and software, coordinates installation and provides backup recovery. Duties can include establishing administrator and service accounts, tuning system performance, installing system wide software and allocating mass storage space. Provides escalation support on a M-F business hours schedule.
Scope and responsibilities include:
Knowledge: Applies extensive technical expertise, and experience to real-world scenarios.
Problem Solving: Develops technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
Discretion: Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives and approaches to assignment.
Impact: Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
Liaison: Must have excellent people and organizational skills to professionally interact with internal and external organizations. Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts in a customer-facing capacity with senior leadership on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
• Interact with Application Owners and Operators to provide an optimal operating environment
• Establish trust within the operational community to address pain points.
• Engage/negotiate with operations stakeholders to develop software behavioral requirements; to be translated by software development into minimal viable product.
• Seek ways to automate and proactively improve the operational environment. • Implement tools and processes for efficient and effective operational management of the environment -- change management, monitoring, alerting, incident handling, customer request handling, etc.
• Detect and Resolve system problems, enhance system performance and reliability.
• Seek ways to automate patching and upgrading applications and OS’s to maintain STIG and security compliance.
• A motivated self-starting personality, able to work independently while maintaining patience with constant interruptions and multiple requests.
• Strong speaking, listening, and writing skills are critical for presentations to varied audiences in terms non-technical leadership can understand.
• Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and responsibilities.
• Comfortable working with confidential /sensitive/ secret or proprietary information.
Skills and Qualifications:
• A passion to automate EVERYTHING!
• Experience in Server/system integration, automation, within large scale global OSS environments.
• Powerful Linux shell skills (bash scripting, output parsing, etc.)
• Expertise in Python or other scripting and automation languages a plus
• A thorough knowledge of networking principles to included TCP/IP.
• Experience with both client and server hardware/software, management tools, storage technologies, enterprise networking, virtualization, and security technologies
• Experience and ability to lead projects; work individually on projects, as well as, a team player.
• Knowledge of storage solutions (SAN, NAS). Working knowledge of network appliances, firewalls, switches, and routers are a plus. Working knowledge of Oracle Database.
Experience, Education, and Certifications:
• Compliant with DoD 8570 IAT Level I baseline certification or higher
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with 3 years of public sector experience, or 5 years related experience in Public Sector
• Linux+, RHCE or equivalent knowledge highly preferred
Work location: St. Louis Metro (Scott AFB IL.)
Required Clearance: Active SECRET