At AT&T, the “&” is more than just 25% of our name. The power of & represents the integrated talents and unbridled possibilities of a workforce in which AT&T is all in. It’s a symbol of inclusion that defines our company as one that invites and celebrates a healthy mix of perspectives, skills and ambitions. We know that leveraging the ideas and talents of a broad group of people is at the heart of our innovation. And the greater our inclusive culture, the greater our potential to make a difference. That’s why we’re committed to supporting initiatives, organizations and projects that strengthen the LGBTQ+ community.
A History of Promoting Diversity and Inclusion and Prohibiting Discrimination
Our more than 140 year history comes with a long-standing dedication to leading the way for inclusion of the LGBTQ+ community:
- In 1975, AT&T became one of the very first major American corporations to adopt a policy prohibiting discrimination against employees based on sexual orientation.
- In 1987, LEAGUE at AT&T established, making it one of the first LGBTQ+ and ally Employee Resource Groups in the nation, now with over 5,500 members across 39 chapters in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Mexico. Our employee network – TOGETHER, with 325 members – supports
the needs of the LGBTQ+ community internationally.
- In 1998, AT&T adopted one of the first domestic partner benefits programs for LGBTQ+ employees.
- In 2006, AT&T was one of the first U.S. corporations to offer transgender-inclusive health care benefits.
- AT&T opposes laws that permit discrimination against any of our employees or customers in conflict with our core diversity values.
- AT&T is one of the first companies to create a Supplier Diversity Program. In 2018, we celebrated our 50th Anniversary – and since then, we have spent over $173 billion with minority, women, service-disabled veterans and LGBTQ+ businesses.
At AT&T, diversity and inclusion will always be top priorities.
- Named one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) for the 15th consecutive year, receiving a perfect score on the Corporate Equality Index for its fair treatment of LGBTQ+ employees.
- Named one of the top companies for LGBT employees by DiversityInc in 2019.
- Ranked #1 on DiversityInc’s Top 50 Companies for Diversity in 2019.
- Named one of the Best-of-the-Best corporations committed to inclusion by the NGLCC and the National Business Inclusion Consortium in – 2018 – third year in a row.
AT&T is committed to supporting organizations and projects that strengthen the LGBTQ+ community.
- AT&T Turn Up the Love is a year-round marketing platform for the LGBTQ+ and ally community. We turn up the love by celebrating important moments for the community, by promoting acceptance, and by connecting you to important resources like The Trevor Project. Visit Turnupthelove.com for exclusive events and content.
- AT&T powers TrevorText and TrevorChat, The Trevor Project’s digital crisis counseling services for LGBTQ+ youth available 24/7. Our 2018 contribution of $1 million has helped the organization expand to serve more LGBTQ+ youth in crisis. Learn more at Thetrevorproject.org/247.
- We have a strong partnership with GLAAD, the world’s leading LGBTQ+ media advocacy organization and sponsor its signature programs to promote positive inclusion and representation for LGBTQ+ people in media and entertainment.
- The LEAGUE Foundation provides scholarships to LGBTQ+ college-bound high school seniors.
- AT&T supports initiatives that promote safety and inclusion for LGBTQ+ youth, including The Trevor Project’s suicide prevention and crisis intervention services, HRC’s Time to THRIVE conference, GLSEN’s work to ensure a safe learning environment for all students, and the Tyler Clementi Foundation’s work with parents, educators, faith communities and employers to prevent bullying and build cultures of inclusion and acceptance.
- Through funding and employee volunteering, AT&T supports various HIV/AIDS charities, including Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, SF AIDS Foundation, and AMFAR.
- AT&T was a founding member of the HRC Global Business Coalition and the Open for Business coalition promoting equality around the globe. In 2018, AT&T added its support to the UN's LGBTI Standards of Conduct for Business.
- We joined the HRC Business Coalition in support of the Equality Act to support a federal legal standard that guarantees all employees the same rights and protections, no matter where they live and work.
Diversity and inclusion drive innovation at our company. It’s important to foster a culture where all viewpoints are considered.Corey AnthonyChief Diversity Officer
Through these initiatives, we can continue making progress on promoting inclusion and equality, deepening our commitment to our employees, customers, and communities throughout the global LGBTQ+ community.